Peanut Butter Pudding
Pregnancy cravings haven't been intense for me in a late-night, emergency trip to the grocery store kind of way. However, there are definitely foods that I crave in general and others that feel uninspired and boring to me. Foods that I just seem to NEED lately: any Asian food, popcorn, and peanut butter.
I made a joke with some friends that I wanted to eat Oreos and peanut butter off my belly once it was big enough to use as a shelf, and while I was only half kidding, it has crossed my mind. I had an outrageously decadent peanut butter budino in New Orleans at Josephine Estelle that gave me this even better idea.
And while I love a good budino, dairy during pregnancy has not gone well for me. I found an amazing vegan recipe on Minimalist Baker that I ever so slightly adapted and I'm so excited to share it with y'all! It's delicious and the perfect, sweet end to a long day.
Peanut Butter Pudding (Dairy + Egg Free)
- 3 C. Coconut milk, full fat
- 1/4 C. + 1 tsp. Arrowroot starch
- 1/4 C. Dark honey (use maple syrup or agave to make vegan!)
- 1 1/4 C Creamy peanut butter (I love Trader Joe's Creamy, No Stir)
- 1 Tbsp. Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla bean paste
- In a small pot, whisk coconut milk and arrowroot starch until fully incorporated. Turn heat on medium-high and do not stir until you notice the mixture thickening. It happens quickly, roughly 3 minutes, so keep watch as it will get gummy if it sits too long.
- Once thickened, pour immediately into a large glass bowl and whisk in peanut butter, honey, salt and vanilla bean paste until well combined.
- Cover with plastic wrap to prevent a film from forming on top and refrigerate until cooled.
- Once cooled, pour into 4oz jars and keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Top with your favorites - like honey-roasted peanuts, Oreos, chocolate chips, toasted coconut, whatever your heart desires - and enjoy!